What are the recommended security precautions?
General security advice
- How do you act responsible? By protecting your device with a password composed of a letter-figure-combination and activating the automatic screen lock as well as the SIM PIN on your mobile device. Never pass on or lend your personal device to others.
- How valuable is your data? Save your data on an external medium or online on a regular basis. Check that your data has indeed been saved. Update apps, programs and operating systems as soon as updates become available.
- Install a virus protection program. Configure the program in a way that it will automatically and regularly update its’ virus list to ensure that it also recognises current threats. Only install apps from the official app stores (e.g. Android's Google Play Store or Apple Store).
- When using your device in public areas position it in a way that other people cannot read it.
- Protect yourself by being suspicious regarding e-mail inquiries. Also e-mails from a known sender, including friends, can be fraudulent.
- Ensure not to use the same password for business and private purpose. In general we discourage to save passwords in «normal» applications such as browsers, e.g. «Save Password» in the Internet Explorer.
- Protect yourself by not sharing your personal e-banking access data such as password, PIN, identification number etc. with third parties, including third party providers.
- Financial institutions never ask for your password, neither over the phone nor by e-mail. They also never request you to change your password by such means.
- Remove file and printer sharing in computers, especially when they are connected to the internet.
Recommendation for a secure password
Choose a long password (at least 10 characters) consisting of random number(s) and letter(s) combination including special characters. Do not disclose your passwords to others and only keep them at a safe place, if possible encrypted.
Recommendation for a secure connection
Secure navigation to the financial institution. Always type the e-banking address of your financial institution manually into the browser. Do never use a link that is being sent to you, for example by e-mail! In addition we recommend to use your e-banking only on a known and secure computer, i.e. not in an Internet Café.
- Ensure a secure connection
Always ensure to use a «secure» connection («https» and lock symbol in the address field of the browser) when connecting with your financial institution and check the certificate. (Read here how to check the certificate.)
- Be alert in case of system interruption or unusual error messages
In case of a system interruption while using the e-banking, e.g. sudden white desktop, or in particular unusual error messages during the login such as «The system is currently overloaded. Please try again later.» immediately disconnect the session and inform the specialists of your financial institution.
Ending your online banking session securely
- Make sure you end your LGT SmartBanking session properly using the dedicated “Logout”. Do not simply close the website or browser.
- After logging out of your online banking session, delete your browser history (empty cache). Alternatively, open LGT SmartBanking using your browsers incognito or private mode. That way, none of your data will be stored.
Device specific recommendation
Close all other internet pages and do not open any other internet pages or e-mails while connected to the e-banking on your desktop or notebook. Always use the most updated browser version to access the internet. Be equally alerted and skeptical on your smartphone or tablet when accessing the internet or reading e-mails. Do not forget to update programs and apps regularly. An option to stay up to date is to arrange that updates are regularly and automatically downloaded and installed.
Do you need assistance?
Contact us if you didn't find the answer to your question in the online help or something isn't working as it should. Our online banking support team is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will be happy to help